The Rajput Diaries... 3

Jaipur...

Before I get into the Jaipur episode, I would just like to say, I had put up a post on a social media site, casually asking if anyone had any sort of recommendations for Rajasthan. Within a few minutes I had so many responses, messages and calls. Turns out I knew tons of Mayo-ites in Bombay (we'll touch upon them and their beloved Alma-Mater eventually), and lets just say every Mayo-ite/Rajput knows the other. There's always a connection - that is something I found most fascinating and instantly loved about them.

So a kind friend in Mumbai got me in touch with his very helpful and hospitable classmate in Jaipur, thanks to whom I got a beautiful room at the Mandawa Haveli. It is a gorgeous place to stay, so peaceful and pretty, friendly yet non-intrusive staff, located perfectly between the main old city and the cool C-Scheme area. Oh and I must mention the yummiest grilled chicken sandwich I've eaten - ever! I look forward to checking out their other properties in their province Mandawa, hopefully very, very soon.



I got in touch with the only one person I knew in Jaipur. It was a shock for him too to have me there at such short notice, but I'd messaged him earlier and let him know I was reaching Jaipur in a few hours. I had no expectations and told him that we could meet whenever he was free, I had no plans as such and didn't expect him to stop work or alter his plans to show me around. I was fully easy, just coming to be. Regardless, he gathered his friends and we were headed to 'Steam' within an hour of me checking in. Steam is a really cool spot at the Taj Rambagh Palace Hotel. It's a bar in a restored steam engine train at a recreated Victorian train station! It felt surreal. I was amused, excited and gobsmacked at the same time. Oh golly, my vocabulary seems to be heading back in time too!!

The whole gang arrived, I was introduced to everyone, we indulged in our drinks and wood-fired pizza and as we spoke, laughed and joked, the roots of my love for this place started planting themselves firmly in the ground without me even realising it. Everyone was so lovely, so easy to get on with, I don't know how they felt, but for me, it certainly did not feel like it was the first time I was meeting any of them. It was as if we'd been friends for years and this was just another night out together, fully normal. The night progressed and moved to one of their homes, after which we called it a night at around 5 am. Not a bad start huh?




The next afternoon, I awoke and lazily strolled down to the pool. The staff were so concerned I didn't show up for breakfast, they made sure I ate and drank well. I listened to some nice Sunday chill lounge as I wrote in my diary (an everyday essential in my bag) and my phone beeped.





My friend picked me up, we went to his home where everyone else was. We watched tv and played cricket. Yes. The boys played cricket with me and were so supportive! I was Man of the Match even - good bowling and batting skills people (not because I was a guest or a girl). At the end of the evening my friend thought I was taking the piss because I kept thanking him repeatedly for letting me be a part of their evening and play with them.

Truth is, I really couldn't remember the last time I'd felt like a part of a normal home life, family and friend circle that played outdoor sports together. This is exactly what I was looking for. I was breathing, breathing with a smile, gratefully aware of it - without even caring about where my BFF phone was!!

The roots started growing deeper as day 2 started to peak to its end...

2 comments:

  1. Hey
    I really like the way your thoughts flow so easily into writing.
    Lovely descriptions. Eagerly awaiting more of the rajput diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nirmitee

    You just made me the happiest girl on the planet!! ;)

    Thank you so much!!!! It means everything to me that you like the writing. Part 4 is out today!!

    Cheers,
    R xoxo

    ReplyDelete